The commission on Legislation and Judiciary is an organizational structure of the Senate, which is under the senate institution. It can be called “Sixth Commission” with abbreviated acronym “CLJ”.
The commission on Legislation and Judiciary shall assume the role of assistance to the Senate in reviewing bills, issues, proposals, or amendment to the Internal Regulations of the senate. The commission shall inform the Permanent Committee and the senate on any findings, or requests from the local constituencies. It shall monitor all activities related to the field of legislation and jurisdiction in connect with principles of decentralization and deconcentration within the regional and national levels.
The commission on Legislation and Judiciary shall assume the following duties:
- Convey the recommendation and position of the commission to the Permanent Committee and the plenary session of the senate.
- Draft proposal, internal regulation of the senate, amendment of the Internal Regulations, and other issues as assigned by the Permanent Committee and the senate.
- Review and make recommendations on bills or issues referred to or invited by other specialized commission or Permanent Committee or the senate.
- Oversee the compliance to the Constitution, laws in force, Internal Regulations of the Senate, and other legal or regulatory issues of the senate, in order to set clear principle for proper and effective coordination consistency with the legal framework.
- Conduct public consultation to gather ideas and listen to opinion or issues clarified, which relate to the bills or proposal in advance of the drafting, including issues deemed necessary and useful.
- Make contact and cooperate with national and international organizations, and competent authority of the National Assembly and the Royal Government, Local institutions and the source of the appointment on order to understand the information and seek support.
- Issue written report, statement, or recommendation to the public on the result of its oversight, monitoring and findings in connection to the field of legislation and jurisdiction.
The commission on Legislation and Judiciary shall have the following competence:
Under its legal framework, comply with Constitution, law in force, Internal Regulations, decision on the role, duty and competence of the commission for legislation and Judiciary, other specialized commission, and other legislative and regulatory issues of the senate.
(Referred to book title “Role, duties and Competence of the senate commissions”)