Lundi, 18 Octobre 2010 10:23
The commission on Human Rights, Reception of Complaints, and Investigation can be called “First Commission” with abbreviated acronym “CHRCI”
The commission on Human Rights Reception of Complaints and Investigation shall assume the following roles:
- Promote and protect every citizen’s rights to live in dignity and equality, which is foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the society, region and the world as a whole
- Follow up and monitor the implementation of human rights in Cambodia in compliance with the Constitution of Cambodia, the Universal declaration of human rights and other international legal instruments related to human rights ratified by Kingdom of Cambodia
The commission on Human Rights Reception of Complaints and Investigation shall assume the following duties:
B. Legislative affairs
- Receive complaints on general issues from individual, representatives, groups, organizations or association.
Review the complaints and coordinate in order to find complaint resolution by making cooperation with institutions or competent authority by way of direct interaction or through written communication.
- Conduct field research on human right violation cases in the local areas.
- Make report on the result on such a research of violation to the Permanent Committee of the Senate or make recommendations to the concerned institution.
C. Education and dissemination
- Make initiatives on drafting proposals to implement the provisions on human rights as stipulated under the Constitution of the Kingdom of Cambodia and other international legal instruments on human rights in which Cambodia is a signatory.
- Review and make recommendations on any bills or proposals related to human rights, initially adopted by the National Assembly.
- Review the implement of any laws in force, which may weaken the improvement of human rights in Cambodia.
- Make initiates to organize public seminar on bills, proposals or issues on human rights.
Cooperate with institution and the civil society organizations concerned in order to provide education and dissemination on human rights to all citizens.
After receiving complaints, the commission shall conduct investigation on the spot to see the irregularities occurred and report on the result of the Investigation to the Permanent Committee of the Senate.
E. The commission on Human Rights Reception of Complaints and Investigation shall have the following competences:
- Report to the Permanent Committee of Senate or the plenary session of the Senate on the situation of human rights violation and make request for improvement and protection of human rights.
- Make request to the royal government on any issues related to human rights.
- Investigate, conduct research and collect data information in order to clarify the structural causes of human rights violation and determine effective measure in solving and eliminating the problems.
- Make coordination with the royal government and authority concerned in order to prevent the violation of human rights.
- Issue report or statement to the public and make clarification on the issues of human rights.
- Make cooperation with local and international human rights organizations in order to improve the status of human rights in Cambodia.
- Seek financial and material assistance from all sources financial and material assistance from sources in order to upgrade the status of human rights and effective investigation.
(Referred to book title “Role, duties and Competence of the senate commissions”)